Learn how to borrow or request the research materials you need.
If you are a student or employee of Niagara University, your student or University ID card serves as your Library card. If you lose your ID card or change your address, please inform the Library right away. The telephone number of the Circulation Desk is 716-286-8020.
Loan Periods and Maximum Number of Items that Can Be Checked Out
See our Borrowing Rules for information on loan periods and limits for books, DVDs and more.
- 50 cents per hour per overdue reserve item.
- 50 cents per day for books that have been recalled but not returned within 10 days.
- $1.00 per day per overdue DVD (weekends and holidays included).
- $10.00 maximum fine per overdue book or reserve item.
Lost or Damaged Books
A minimum $50.00 fee is charged for any lost or damaged book (expensive books may have higher fees). A book is considered lost if it has not been returned 30 days after the due date. If you find a book that you paid for, you can return it to the Library, and your lost book fee will be refunded (except for a $10.00 processing fee).
- 1st Notice issued 7 days after due date.
- 2nd Notice issued 15 days after due date.
- Billing Notice issued 30 days after due date.
Unpaid fines for overdue, damaged, or lost materials are forwarded to the Students Accounts Office at the end of each semester.
Borrowing Privileges Blocked
If you have more than 10 overdue books or owe more than $15 in fines, you will not be allowed to check out books until you clear your account.
Placing Requests on Books
- If a book you need is checked out or on the shelf, you can place a request for it. When the book is returned, you will be notified by mail or email to come to the Library and pick it up.
- Books will be held at the Circulation Desk for 10 days.
Reviewing Your Library Account
You can review your Library account by logging into "My Library" in the Library Catalog. You will need to enter the barcode from your NU Library ID card and a pin number (to request a pin number, please call the Circulation Desk at 716-286-8020). You can see:
- What books you checked out
- What fines you owe
- What items you placed on hold
- If the Library has your correct address on file
There are two ways to try to obtain an item that NU Library does not own.
- You can use Interlibrary Loan (ILL). We will attempt to obtain the item for you from another library. See our ILL Frequently Asked Questions.
- You can make use of the AcademicSHARE program, which will allow you to visit and check out books from other academic libraries* in Western New York. You will need to present your valid NU ID card. In addition, your NU circulation account must be in good standing (that is, you don't have outstanding fines or an excessive record of returning books late).
*The two largest public library systems in the area, Buffalo and Erie County and Niagara County, do not participate in this program. However, you can usually make arrangements with these libraries yourself to get a library card (but call ahead of time).